There is a stage every Southern Pines winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s critical to be able to recognize where these window drafts might be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Southern Pines home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Examine for gaps and breaks in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the usual windows with functional capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only function as well as it is installed.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Southern Pines to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Southern Pines a call at 910-444-0729 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.